- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 485.2
- Total Fat: 17.7 g
- Cholesterol: 72.4 mg
- Sodium: 502.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 26.6 g
Baked Penne with Ricotta and SpinachSubmitted by: PODELL16
IntroductionBaked Penne with Ricotta and Spinach is a hearty vegetarian meal that's great for a meatless night. Baked Penne with Ricotta and Spinach is a hearty vegetarian meal that's great for a meatless night.
8 ounces penne pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
8 ounces fresh spinach, washed, drained, and chopped
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside. Lightly grease a baking dish.
3. Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; saute onion 5 minutes or until just brown. Add garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and add spinach; cover and cook 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
4. Sprinkle spinach mixture with flour. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring well. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in cooked pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, sugar, salt and pepper, and red pepper. Place into prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PODELL16.