- Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 245.6
- Total Fat: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 31.4 mg
- Sodium: 521.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 19.3 g
Mom's Mac and Cheese SauceSubmitted by: KALIKA13
IntroductionMy mom's Mac and Cheese sauce, pour over veggies or pasta for a tasty treat! My mom's Mac and Cheese sauce, pour over veggies or pasta for a tasty treat!
1/4 cup Butter
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2/3 cup flour
4 cups milk
1 12 ounce can unsweetened evaporated milk, or increase regular milk by 1 1/2 cups
4 cups reduced fat aged cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
a dash or two of salt
1) For veggies drizzel small amount over offending veg for little people approval
2) Use in potato's for cheesey mashed
3) Mix with cooked pasta for a mac an cheese, you can even sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake
Use your imagination! :)
2) add garlic cloves and simmer till you can smell it, remove cloves and reserve
3) slowly add in flour, whisking till smooth thick paste, then crumbly, continue to cook a bit more to get some browning flavour. At this point you can add some white wine if you like for a more adult version, just wisk till thick paste again.
4) add milk 2 cups at a time wisking till thick and mixed.
5) add evaporated milk, or for a lighter version the plain milk (I used 2%) Wisk till thick again.
6) add mustard, paprika, cyenne pepper, salt and pepper (it mixes better this way but if you forget you can add it later to taste)
7) add in cheese (can be subed for any kind but cheddar is a nice SHARP flavour) stir till melted and mixed.
8) taste and season as needed
Serving Size: 8-12 depending on taste
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KALIKA13.