- Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 90.2
- Total Fat: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 13.8 mg
- Sodium: 112.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
Irish Soda Bread in a Cast Iron SkilletSubmitted by: ANNE-ELIZ
Flour - Gold medal all purpose flour, 2 cup
Granulated Sugar, .25 cup Salt, .25 tsp
Raisins, .25 cup, packed
Buttermilk, lowfat, .5 cup
Baking Powder, 1.5 tsp
Buttermilk, lowfat, 2 fl oz
Egg, fresh, 1 large
in oven to heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking
powder and salt. Cut in the butter or margarine with a pastry blender.
3. Stir in the caraway seeds and currants.
4. Stir in just until combined 1/2 cup buttermilk and the egg.
5. Turn dough out on a floured cutting board. The dough will be sticky. With
floured hands knead the dough a few times until able to form into a disc
6. Carefully remove the hot cast iron skillet from oven and lightly grease with
butter. Place the round ball of dough into the skillet.
7. In desired, cut an "X" into the top of the loaf using a toothpick. Brush the
top of loaf with the remaining buttermilk. Bake for 35-40 minutes until
golden brown and hollow when tapped.
8. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 16 one oz. servings
Number of Servings: 14
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ANNE-ELIZ.