- Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 297.7
- Total Fat: 20.3 g
- Cholesterol: 61.2 mg
- Sodium: 108.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
ZENBELLY'S NO JOKE DARK CHOCOLATE CAKESubmitted by: MOGENEO
Introductionthis is a 100% paleo friendly cake. guaranteed to be grain free, dairy free, soy free, gluten free. this is a 100% paleo friendly cake. guaranteed to be grain free, dairy free, soy free, gluten free.
For the Cake:
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil (plus more for greasing pans)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the chocolate whipped cream filling:
3/4 cup coconut cream (from the top of an unshaken can of coconut milk)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (i made my own so i could substitute the butter for coconut oil, and the sugar for honey)
1 teaspoon vanilla (i used extract here because i did not buy the bean...)
For the ganache glaze:
4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon honey
for 1/2 cup of chocolate chips completely paleo style, we used 1 chocolate squares, 2 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 Tbls honey, & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. 3 taste testers agreed that this recipe i used made semi sweet chocolate chips.
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
• Sift dry ingredients (almond flour through salt) into a medium sized bowl
• In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir to combine and add to the dry ingredients.
• Beat until well combined by hand, and pour into the prepared pans.
• Bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of your pans. If using larger ones, check after 20 minutes.
while the cakes are baking, make the chocolate whipped cream filling:
• Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water.
• Beat your cream until it’s fairly stiff.
If you’re using coconut cream, it may not get as stiff, but that’s okay. (coconut cream was easily made by putting coconut milk in the refrigerator several hours before we started to prepare this recipe)
• Add the melted chocolate and give it another quick whip, and scrape down the sides of the bowl so it’s mixed in well.
Make the ganache glaze:
• Melt the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water. (you can use the same bowl you melted the chocolate in for the whipped cream, scraped out)
• Once it’s melted, stir in the honey and turn off the heat.
• Here’s where patience and attentiveness comes in: Remove the bowl from the heat and allow it to come to room temperature, stirring every 5 minutes or so. You want the ganache to thicken, but not get so hard that you’ll have to spread it on the cake. You want to be able to pour it. It will probably take about 1/2 hour to get to the right consistency, a good time to do all of the dishes you just made dirty.
Put it all together!
after the cakes have cooled, put the cream filling on bottom layer and put top layer on. then place your cakes in the fridge. Once your ganache is at the right consistency, pour it over the top of the cake and push to the edges so it falls over.
Please note, that if you are like me and my kids, you will make the cream filling and the ganache and do a taste test. NEITHER ONE WILL BE SWEET! :) TRUST US! but it really turns out delicious!
Serving Size: makes 16 servings