- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 334.4
- Total Fat: 23.4 g
- Cholesterol: 235.4 mg
- Sodium: 733.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 21.9 g
Meat Lover's Breakfast CasseroleSubmitted by: JFRANDEN
IntroductionGreat, hearty breakfast casserole. Not soggy (no bread/biscuits), and packed with protein. A great savory start to the day. Great, hearty breakfast casserole. Not soggy (no bread/biscuits), and packed with protein. A great savory start to the day.
1 Pound Ground Sausage
1 Yellow or White Onion, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
1 to 2 c. Shredded Hash Browns
3 TBSP Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
5 Slices Bacon (I like to use Turkey Bacon), chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 c. Milk
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg (preferably fresh)
1/2 tsp. Dried Chives
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 c. Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Thanks to Loretta E. for the recipe inspiration.
Please see her post (with lovely pictures!) at the following link: http://www.afinninthekitchen.com/2012/12/meat-lovers-breakfast-casserole.html
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
2. Grease a 1 1/2 or 2 quart (I used 8x8 glass pan) casserole dish with 1 TBSP olive or coconut oil.
3. Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and/or hash browns and cook until lightly brown (7 to 9 min).
4. Cook bacon until crispy, then sausage until browned.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, nutmeg, chives, salt, and pepper.
6. Add your ingredients to the greased casserole dish in the following order: meat, 1c. shredded cheese, onions and/or hash browns, egg mixture, then remaining cheese.
7. Bake, uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes. It's done when the top has browned, and there is only a small amount of jiggling (if any) when you shake the dish.
8. Allow to cool for 10 (grueling!) minutes, and serve warm.
Serving Size: Makes approximately 6 to 8 servings
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JFRANDEN.