Bean & Cheese BurritosSubmitted by: 13KAY13
1 pckg Yves Veggie Ground Round
1 can refried beans (approx. 1.5 cups)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup medium salsa
1/3 cup light sour cream
1 1/2 cups light shredded cheese
4 large flour tortillas
- Note that some refried beans are made with lard which is an animal fat. If you are a stringent lacto-ovo vegetarian ensure that you pick the appropriate kind for your dietary needs.
- I used Old El Paso refried beans with green chilis, Neal Brothers Medium Organic Salsa and Casa Mendosa Tomato Basil Tortillas for this recipe.
1) Mix veggie ground round, refried beans, chili powder, garlic, cumin and pepper together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2) Mix the salsa and sour cream together in a small bowl. Spread 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) of this mixture onto the middle of each tortilla in a strip.
3) Top the salsa/sour cream mixture with shredded cheese (1/4 cup each) and then with the bean mixture (approx. 1/2 cup) equally amongst all 4 tortillas.
4) These things are PACKED so wrapping them tends to be a messy/explodey business. Take the 2 sides of the tortilla that run verticle (not parallel) to your strip of filling and fold them over the filling. The trickiest part is to hold onto those folds you've just made on either side and at the same time, take the edge of the tortilla closet to you that is running parallel to your filling and fold it over your flaps. Once this is done you then have to hold your new flap down while you wrap the last edge over your filling to overlap.
***You'll most likely have filling everywhere. Don't worry if you make a mess. Laugh it off, clean the burrito up as best you can. It might just be a disgusting looking lump but that's okay, it's still going to taste awesome!***
5) Place each burrito seam side down (or less mushy/explodey side up) in the baking pan. Bake for 25 min uncovered.
6) When done, leave them in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Use a flipper to scrape/scoop each burrito out. If you managed to actually wrap these puppies, make sure that you are possitioning your flipper to go WITH the grain of your final tortilla fold, not against it. If you go against it you're liable to rip the burrito apart on the way out of the pan. I have learned this the hard way again, and again... and again.
Serving Size: Makes 4 well stuffed burritos