- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 279.1
- Total Fat: 10.7 g
- Cholesterol: 8.4 mg
- Sodium: 409.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
Shortcake Biscuits with BerriesSubmitted by: FAYBEE3
IntroductionServes: 8 Serving size: 1 biscuit Serves: 8 Serving size: 1 biscuit
Canola oil spray
1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
3 to 4 Tbsp. sugar for the biscuits, plus more for the berries, according to taste
2 Tbsp butter, softened
4 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1 lb. fresh strawberries
1 pint fresh (or 2 cups frozen) blueberries
1/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with oil spray. Set aside.
2. Hull strawberries and slice into a bowl. Add fresh blueberries, if using. Mix in orange juice and sugar to taste. Set aside 30 to 60 minutes. (If using frozen blueberries that are defrosted, stir in just before assembling shortcakes.)
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Use a pastry blender or a fork to cut the butter and oil into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add the milk all at once. Stir until it is just incorporated and there are no lumps.
4. Form 8 biscuits by dropping well-rounded quarter cups onto the cookie sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are done. (Use a toothpick to test centers). Cool on a wire rack.
5. Use a serrated knife to gently slice off the top third of each biscuit. Top with some berries and juice. Lay the top third of the biscuit on berries. Top with more berries and juice. Place remaining berries around each biscuit. Garnish with frozen yogurt, if using, and serve.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user FAYBEE3.