spaghetti pieSubmitted by: SHRINKINGDEB
Introductionadapted from an old family favorite adapted from an old family favorite
1 12 oz package Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces
3 Tbsp light margarine
1/2 C shredded Parmesan
3 eggs, beaten
1 lb lean ground beef
1 C chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 tsp white sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
2 C 2% cottage cheese
1 c part-skim mozzarella
The sauce would be a good place to sneak in veggies. Beef or turkey do well in this recipe. Feel free to spice it up a bit to your liking by adding more garlic, crushed red pepper, etc.
This works can be put together the night before and baked the next day.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. In a skillet cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic. Drain off the fat and stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and oregano. Heat through. Let simmer for a while for best flavor.
4. Spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti crust then pour in the beef and tomato mixture.
5. Cover with Foil and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the pie then bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese melts.
7. Let sit for a few minutes before serving
Serving Size: Makes 12 slices (1/12 of 9x13 pan)