Tamale PieSubmitted by: AUBURN54
IntroductionSpicy American classic that gets you your full servings of veggies. Low in calories, fat, and carbs. Great for diabetics who don't want to eat like one. Can also be gluten free if you use gluten free flour. Spicy American classic that gets you your full servings of veggies. Low in calories, fat, and carbs. Great for diabetics who don't want to eat like one. Can also be gluten free if you use gluten free flour.
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cups diced onions
1 lb lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups zuccini squash, diced
1 1/2 cups summer squash, diced
1 1/2 cups of diced mixed color bell peppers
1 jalapeno, diced (omit if you want less spicy)
1 1/2 cups fresh or canned corn
1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice reserved
1-6 oz can sliced black olives
1-4 oz can diced green chilies
2 tbsp diced garlic
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp chili powder (reduce if you like less spicy)
1 tbsp cumin powder
Cornbread topping (or use a 1 lb cornbread mix according to package directions):
1/2 cup flour (use gluten free flour if desired)
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
1 extra large egg, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
This can be gluten free if you use gluten free flour. Cornmeal is naturally gluten free. I'm a diabetic with gluten allergies who in on a diet to lose weight (mealtime can suck!), so this recipe is awesome for me. It allows me to enjoy food with my family who are head over heels for it.
1.Dice all vegetables.
2. Saute onions in skillet until golden brown.
3. Crumble meat into pan and brown.
4. Add zuccini, squash, bell peppers, and jalapeno and saute until cooked approx 10 min.
5. Add tomatoes (reserving juice), black olives, green chilies, and garlic. Heat through.
6. Add spices and combine. Adjust salt to taste.
7 Use the reserved tomato juice and combine with the cornstarch. Add to filling and cook until thickened approx 3-5 minutes.
8. Pour filling into a large casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Level out the filling.
1. Combine dry ingredients of cornbread topping.
2. Beat egg and buttermilk together. Add to dry mix.
3. Pour cornbread topping over the filling. Bake at 400 degrees F for approx 20-25 min until crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for approx 5 min.
Slice into 16 servings and enjoy.
Serving Size: 16 servings- approx 2 cups each
Number of Servings: 16
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AUBURN54.