Date SquaresSubmitted by: CURLY_MIKALA
IntroductionThe best date squares I've tasted - not too sweet. The best date squares I've tasted - not too sweet.
2 cups Chopped dates
3/4 cup Water
1 cup Whole-wheat flour
1 cup Brown sugar, packed
2 cups Rolled Oats
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup Melted Butter
2. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and soft.
3. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
4. In a bowl combine remaining ingredients, except butter. Mix well. Slowly stir in melted butter while tossing with a fork. Use fingers if necessary to mix well.
5. Press one-half of mixture into prepared pan. Top with date mixture. Cover with remaining crumbs and pat smooth.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 bars.
Number of Servings: 24
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CURLY_MIKALA.