Tunisian Greens and BeansSubmitted by: JEREMY_PATRICIA
IntroductionThis is very good when you serve it with roasted beets and wild rice. This is very good when you serve it with roasted beets and wild rice.
3 tablespoons peanut oil
I medium onion (sliced)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Â½ teaspoon sea salt
Â¼ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
4 cups chopped beet greens (you may also use Swiss Chard but we like beet greens better in this dish)
1 cup tomatoes diced (with juice)
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
Â½ cup of the water from the garbanzo beans
1. Saute the onion and the garlic in the peanut oil until the onion is soft.
2. Stir in the sea salt, chili flakes, ground coriander and cumin.
3. Chop the beet greens and stir them into the previous mixture. (donâ€™t dry the beet greens after washing them as the water on them helps steam them)
4. When the beet greens wilt, add the tomatoes, the garbanzo beans and some more of the water from the garbanzo beans.
5. Note: The dish should be a little saucy but not soupy. You may need to add more water from the beans to get the texture just right.
6. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
Note 1. This is very good when you serve it with roasted beets and wild rice.
Note 2. You can also add two tablespoons peanut butter for a different flavour (we like this).
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JEREMY_PATRICIA.