Mixed Beans and riceSubmitted by: ECHOSPRINGS
IntroductionGreat as a side dish or as a meatless/vegan main meal! Great as a side dish or as a meatless/vegan main meal!
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon each of dried basil, cumin and coriander seed
* 1/4 teaspoon each of black and cayenne pepper
* 1 (19 ounce, 540 mL) can mixed beans, rinsed and drained
* 1.5 cup medium-grain rice
* 1/2 can crushed tomatoes (398 mL or approx 1.5 cups)
* 1 tablespoon cider
* 1 tsp olive oil
In a saucepan or rice cooker place rice, spices (cumin, ground coriander seed, basil and cayenne pepper) and can of crushed tomatoes. Simmer until all the tomato is absorbed into the rice.
When rice is finished cooking, take a skillet and, heat olive oil and then slowly sautÃ©e onion and garlic until the onion is nice and soft.
Add the pepper and sautÃ©e for about 1 minute, then add the cooked rice.
Stir until all of the additions are evenly distributed throughout the rice.
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ECHOSPRINGS.