- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 196.0
- Total Fat: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,010.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 9.7 g
Lebanese Lentils and Rice with caramelized onions (Moudardara)Submitted by: KEDP98
IntroductionThis is an easy, fantastic and flavorful way to enjoy the benefits of protein, complex carbohydrates, and potassium packed lentils and brown rice. This is an easy, fantastic and flavorful way to enjoy the benefits of protein, complex carbohydrates, and potassium packed lentils and brown rice.
.5 cup (pre-cooked dry measure) whole grain instant brown rice
.5 cup (pre-cooked dry measure) lentils
1 can reduced sodium, reduced fat chicken broth, divided (use vegetable broth for a fully vegetarian dish)
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tsp olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste (I use about .5 tsp salt and .25 tsp pepper)
(1) Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting broth for half of the water, and using 1 tsp olive oil to add flavor and prevent sticking.
(2) Prepare lentils in a separate pot according to package directions, using the rest of the broth to substitute for half the water.
(3) While lentils and rice are simmering on medium-low heat, (about 25 minutes), chop onion, and saute chopped onion in1 tsp olive oil over medium heat until it has softened and caramelized (but not scorched). This will take about 15-20 minutes.
(4) When lentils are finished cooking, drain remaining liquid from lentils, and mix together in a serving bowl the onions, lentils, and rice.
(5) Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Note--this is great as a side dish; you can also grill and chop a chicken breast and add it in for even more lean protein.
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KEDP98.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
Lovely meal. I live alone so I cook lentils, rice and other staples and freeze them in individual servings. It was very easy for me to pull out the rice and lentils and heat them in a bit of chicken broth while the onions cooked. I will be recommending this recipe. Thanks! - 4/3/10
Had this for dinner tonight. It was delicious and very easy to make. However, I think the nutritional information is pretty far off. .75 cups of rice and .75 cups of lentils (the serving size), not to mention the olive oil, are way more than 196 calories. But delicious nonetheless! - 8/29/12
I haven't tried your recipe but I actually just finished eating this dish that I bought at a local lebanese market & loved it so much I had to find a recipe. I will definately be trying this one.
One question - can you make it with water instead of the broth? to lower the sodium? - 2/10/10
mmmmmm. yummy. Nice on a cold wet day.
I did not have any chicken broth, or olive oil. I just made this with plain water, and used a cooking spray for the onions - and it is just as good. Just a few more calories chaved off if anyone desires.
Super simple - super tasty! Thank you! - 1/16/09