- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 188.9
- Total Fat: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 3.4 mg
- Sodium: 157.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
German Style Bacon and Apple Potato SaladSubmitted by: MVIGIRL
Introductiongreat for a summer picnic! great for a summer picnic!
5 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp salr
2 apples (peeled and diced) Golden Delicious are perfect, granny smith work well too
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered or dice depending on your preferance
1/4 cup good olive oil
2 TBS red wine vinegar
2 TBS whole-grain mustard
Thinly sliced green onions (chives), about 2
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (seperated)
fresh ground pepper to taste
1) cook bacon pieces until crisp, drain on paper towels and reserve bacon grease
2) Add the onions to the bacon pan, add salt and sautÃ© until onions are soft and beginning to brown. Transfer the onion to a small bowl (use a wire scoop or slotted spoon to avoid getting too much grease. Add the apple to the bowl and put aside..
3) Fill a large pan with cold water and a pinch of salt, add potatoes and simmer for until they are tender when pierced thin knife of skewer (aprox 15 minutes). Pour into a colander to drain
4) In a large serving bowl, toss onions, apples and potatoes with the balance of the ingredients (using only 1 tsp of thyme) Toss well.
5) Cover and set aside at room temperature for at least one hour. Taste and then add more salt, pepper if desired. garnish with the rest of thyme before serving
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HOLLYBEARSMOM.