Scheherazade CasseroleSubmitted by: BREES25
IntroductionRecipe from Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook Recipe from Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook
1 c. raw bulgur
1 c. boiling water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 c. minced onion
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp basil
black pepper and cayenne, to taste
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, drained
3/4 c dry soybeans, soaked
3 Tbs (half a small can) tomato paste
1/2 c. (packed) finely minced parsely
1.5 c. crumbled feta cheese
2. Place the bulgur in a small bowl. Add boiling water, cover with a plate, and let stand at least 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt, and seasonings. Stir occasionally as you saute over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Add bell pepper and saute about 5 minutes more.
4. Drain the soybeans, if necessary, and place them in a blender or food processor with 1 cup of fresh water. Grind until the soybeans resemble a coarse batter. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add the soaked bulgur and sauteed vegetables to the soybeans. Stir in the tomatoes, breaking them up into bite-sized pieces. Add tomato paste, parsley, and 1 cup of the feta. Mix well.
6. Spread into the baking pan and sprinkle the remaining feta on top. Cover a bale for 30 minutes at 375 F, then uncover and bake 15 more minutes with the oven turned down to 350 F. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BREES2.