Punjabi KadhiSubmitted by: VIRGO2008
For the Kadhi:
Plain Yogurt - 2 cups
Ginger - 2 tsp, minced
Garlic - 1 Tbsp, minced
Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Methi) - 2 Tbsp (divided)
Chickpea Flour (Besan) - 1/2 cup
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dried Whole Red Chilies - 2, broken
Onion - 1 medium, sliced
Green Chilies - to taste, slit
Fenugreek Leaves - remaining from above
Salt - to taste
Water - 4 cups
Cilantro - few sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. In a medium bowl, mix together Yogurt, Ginger, Garlic, 1/3 of the Fenugreek Leaves, Chickpea Flour, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder and Cumin Powder.
2. Add a small amount of water and blend with a hand blender until there are no more lumps.
3. Heat Oil in a pot.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
5. Add Fenugreek Seeds and Whole Red Chilies. Stir for few seconds.
6. Add Sliced Onions and Green Chilies. Saute until lightly brown.
7. Add remaining 2/3 of Fenugreek Leaves and stir for 30 seconds.
8. Add Yogurt mixture, Water and Salt. Mix well.
9. Bring Mixture to a rolling boil. keep stirring.
10. cook for 30 minutes in low heat. keep stirring.
11. Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot with Rice or chapati. or eat as a soup.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user VIRGO2008.