Spicy Veal Roast
IntroductionSkimming the fat from the cooking juices helps to minimize the fat content of this veal dish. Skimming the fat from the cooking juices helps to minimize the fat content of this veal dish.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 lb. boned lean veal shoulder, trimmed, rolled, and tied
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb. onions, peeled
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
2. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a large skillet. Add onions, garlic, and tarragon. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 teaspoon oil in an ovenproof pan large enough to hold all ingredients. Brown meat on all sides. Add garlic-onion mixture. Add parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover.
4. Bake at 325º F oven for 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices. Remove bay leaf and parsley. Slice the roast in 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Pour a little cooking juice over the roast and serve the rest on the side.
Yield: 12 servings--Serving Size: 3 oz