German Lentil SoupSubmitted by: BEAR14GSB
IntroductionThis is a great dinner soup. Just serve with a nice salad. This is a great dinner soup. Just serve with a nice salad.
4 bacon slices, diced
2 medium onlins, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 cup sliced celery
8 oz. package John Morrell Diced Ham
16 oz. package lentils
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
8 cups hot water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven or large saucepot over medium-hich heat, fry bacon until lightly browned.
2. Add onions, carrots and celery and over medium heat, cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add ham, lentils, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, hot water and 2 teaspoons salt.
4. Cover, simmer over low heat 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves.
5. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BEAR14GSB.