- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 272.9
- Total Fat: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,496.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
Pho Chay (Vegetarian Vietnamese Rice Noodle Soup)Submitted by: MISSVYKY
IntroductionA delicious vegan version of a noodlehouse favorite- yum! A delicious vegan version of a noodlehouse favorite- yum!
6 Cups Vegetable Broth (I like a beef- flavoured)
6 inches Fresh ginger root- broken into chunks
6 cloves garlic
4 cups rice noodles (soaked in hot water to soften)
1 cup each of sliced, blanched veggies- I like carrot, celery and Mushroom- feel free to substitute your favorites (try bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, etc)
Generous amounts of the following spices: lemongrass, black peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf and celery seed
1. blanch veggies (boil for 2 minutes, then plunge in ice water) and set aside
2. Separate onions- you'll want to make thin rings out of half of one onion, and quarter the rest, cut ginger into large chunks
3. Blacken the onion and ginger in a large pot over high heat, until black and crispy all over. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
3. In the meantime, soak the rice noodles in boiling water until soft (according to package directions)
4. Layer rice noodles and blanched veggies in large bowls, ass a few raw onion slices (chopped green onions) and pour broth over top.
5. Serve with raw bean sprouts, cilantro, lime wedges, sriracha hot sauce (or chili oil) and hoisin sauce (although no garnishes are include in the nutritional information)
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MISSVYKY.