Beans & GreensSubmitted by: 1888MICHELLE
IntroductionThis is a hearty soup/stew that will stick to the ribs!! This is a hearty soup/stew that will stick to the ribs!!
2 tbls crushed garlic
4 tbls lemon juice
8 cups spinach, fresh
3 onions, chopped
2 cups beet greens
1 cup collard greens
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 cup red lentils
1/2 cup real wild rice
1 cup pigeon or pinto beans
3 ham hocks
1 tbls chili powder
1 tbls cinnamon
salt & pepper to taste
2. Set slow cooker or crockpot on high to heat up. Put ham hocks in pot of water to boil.
3. Wash greens and drain well. Chop greens and onions and put in slow cooker.
4. Rinse beans, barley, quinoa, rice and lentils until water runs clear. Add to slow cooker.
5. Add all remaining ingredients except ham hocks.
6. Pour ham hocks and the cooking water into the slow cooker. Top up slow cooker with water.
7. Add water as required throughout the day to prevent sticking.
8. When beans are cooked and slightly firm, remove the ham hocks, and serve beans & greens mix.
Number of Servings: 15
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user 1888MICHELLE.