Chewy Oat Almond Craisin BarSubmitted by: KRAVMAGAGIRL
Introductionyummy sugar-free dehydrated granola bar. taken from goneraw.com. yummy sugar-free dehydrated granola bar. taken from goneraw.com.
Number of Servings: 10
water for soaking
2 cups oat groats, (this was the measurement after soaking, so I would imagine that it was 1 cup before soaking)
Your favorite nut milk, enough to get ingredients moving in blender
Raw agave or maple syrup (sweeten to your liking)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or the inside of a vanilla bean
2 pinches sea salt
4 ounces (1/2 cup) raw almonds -more or less (to your liking), only soak them if you desire then chop them up and put to the side
4 ounces (1/2 cup) dried cranberries or raisins
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
1. Cover oat groats with water and soak in a bowl for 6 hours.
2. After soaking oat groats, drain water, rinse groats with water, then drain in a colander.
3. Add half the groats to a blender, with enough nut milk to get contents moving.
4. Add cinnamon, salt, sweetener, and vanilla to mixture and blend until creamy (will be slightly chunky) Add nut milk as needed. Mixture should neither be runny nor too dry.
5. Add the rest of the oat groats and blend but allow mixture to remain chunky.
6. Transfer mixture to bowl and fold in dried fruit and nuts.
7. Spread mixture onto paraflex dehydrator sheets.
8. I put this in the dehydrator on 125 degrees for one hour, then I turned it down to 105 degrees and let it dehydrate for 12 hours. They taste great! Even my picky niece who turns up her nose at my health food likes them. I think they’ll taste even better after resting in the refrigerature.
GOOD AS A COOKIE, GRANOLA, OR BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
NOTE: You can also shape these into rounds to make cookies, chewy or crispy, depending on dehydrating time and temperature. You can also bypass the dehydrator and eat as a breakfast porridge or, dehydrate until crispy (you’ll have to turn up the temperature), break into bite-sized pieces and eat as granola or cereal with “milk”. I think that the syrupy sweeteners are what keep the granola moist. .
OTHER ADDITIONS TO TRY IN THE FUTURE: dried blueberries, chopped apples, shredded raw coconut or coconut oil to add the flavor, nutmeg, and/or vegan chocolate chips, over-ripe bananas pureed and blended with the oat groats (you will need less sweetener if you do this). Yum! Experiment! Enjoy!
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PESCETARIAN.