Red Hot Fusilli
This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (what's this)
IntroductionThis lively low-saturated fat pasta dish contains lots of tomatoes and herbs and very little oil. This lively low-saturated fat pasta dish contains lots of tomatoes and herbs and very little oil.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly minced parsley
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, crushed or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground red pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 oz. uncooked fusilli pasta (4 cups cooked)
- 1/2 lb. cooked chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces (3/4 lb. raw) (optional)
2. Add tomatoes and spices. Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Add chicken and continue cooking for 15 minutes until chicken is heated through and sauce is thick.
3. Cook pasta in unsalted water. Drain.
4. To serve, spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with coarsely chopped parsley. Serve hot as a main dish and cold for the next day's lunch.
Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup