Beef and Barley StewSubmitted by: AUTHENTICMOM
- 1 pound eye-of-round roast, all visible fat discarded, cut into .75 inch cubes
-2 cups fat-free, no-salt added beef broth
- .5 cup water, plus more as needed
- 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium ribs of celery, cut into .5 inch slices
- 1 tbsp very low sodium or low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt-free garlic herb seasoning
- .5 tsp salt
- .25 tsp pepper
- ,5 cup uncooked pearl barley
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a Dutch oven or ovenproof 3 to 4 quart casserole dish, stir together all the ingredients except the barley.
bake, covered, for 1 hour (no stirring needed). Stir in the barely. Bake, covered, for 1 hour, or until barely and meat are tender ( no stirring needed).
SLOW COOKER METHOD
Put all ingredients except barley into a 3.5 to 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 6 hours; stir in the barley. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low 2 to 4 hours, or until the barley and beef are tender.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AER1977.