Borscht!Submitted by: MEGABOMB
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/8 tsp mustard seeds
3 sprig parsley
3 sprig thyme
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium russet potato (3/4 pound), peeled, chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped red cabbage (or green)
1 large onion, chopped
6 cups (or more) vegetable stock
6 2-inch-diameter beets, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 small apple, peeled and grated
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
Rice wine vinegar, to taste
Sour cream, if desired for garnish
Chopped fresh dill, for garnish
2. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and saute until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes.
4. Add vegetable stock, bouquet garni, dill, beets, tomatoes and apple.
5. Bring soup to boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
7. Remove the bouquet garni.
8. Puree 3 cups of the soup in a blender and return to the pot so that the soup will still be chunky.
9. If desired, thin soup with more vegetable stock.
10. Add rice wine vinegar to taste and season with salt and pepper.
11. Ladle soup into bowls.
12. Top with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with dill.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MEGABOMB.