Glazed Sugarplum BiscuitsSubmitted by: LOTRFREAKFAN3
2 cups Martha White┬« Self-Rising Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 stick Crisco┬« All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks
OR 1/3 cup Crisco┬« All-Vegetable Shortening
1 cup dried fruit bits
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
1/2 cup milk
1. HEAT oven to 450┬░F. Combine flour, sugar and baking soda in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in fruit bits and almonds.
2. ADD buttermilk; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add additional buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is dry.
3. KNEAD dough on lightly floured surface until no longer sticky. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place biscuits with sides touching on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. BAKE 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack while making glaze.
5. COMBINE all glaze ingredients in small bowl; stir until smooth. Spoon glaze over warm biscuits. Serve warm.
Number of Servings: 23
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LOTRFREAKFAN3.