- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 242.2
- Total Fat: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 108.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 11.0 g
White Bean and Spinach SoupSubmitted by: HLOOSHA
IntroductionThis is my mom's recipe, and is therefore not the most accurate in measurements, so be creative, and don't be afraid to keep tasting. This is my mom's recipe, and is therefore not the most accurate in measurements, so be creative, and don't be afraid to keep tasting.
2 Cups white beans, soaked overnight
A couple glugs of olive oil
2.2 Lbs Spinach
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. tomato paste
8 peeled and chopped tomatoes (or a can of crushed tomatoes)
paprika, salt, pepper
1. Soak 2 cups of white beans in cold water at least overnight.
2. cook the beans in water, WITHOUT salt, until soft, about 2 hours
3. In another big pan, saute 2 onions in olive oil until transparent. Add about a kilo (2 lbs.) of washed fresh spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
4. Add to the spinach
two chopped cloves of garlic,
a tablespoon of tomato paste (if you have any)
a tablespoon of sugar,
a teaspoon cumin
a bit of paprika
and about 8 peeled and chopped tomatoes and cook for another minute or two.
5. drain the beans and add to the tomato-spinach mixture
6. Add however much water you'd like (depending on how thick you'd like the soup to be) and cook for another 20 minutes or so.
The soup is best the next day when you reheat it. A bit of Tabasco sauce does wonders. Serve with bread on a cold day!
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HLOOSHA.