- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 201.7
- Total Fat: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 55.8 mg
- Sodium: 1,213.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.0 g
- Protein: 19.1 g
Slow Cooker Split Pea SoupSubmitted by: TEXASANNIE76
IntroductionThis is great served with crusty bread, or paired with sandwiches. This is great served with crusty bread, or paired with sandwiches.
16 ounces dried split peas
2 pounds diced, cooked lean turkey ham
2 cups diced carrots
1.5 pounds chopped red potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
fresh thyme, to taste
fresh basil to taste
1 cup hot milk
2. Sweat the chopped onions in a large skillet. Add the diced ham and cook for a few minutes.
3. In a slow cooker, pour in the dried peas. Pour the skillet of ham and onions, including all juices, over the peas.
4. Add the bay leaves, garlic, carrots, salt, and pepper.
5.Gently pour the hot broth over the ingredients. Do not stir.
6. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until peas are done and vegetables are tender.
7. When the soup is finished cooking, stir in thyme and basil. Add more salt , pepper, or other seasonings if desired.
8. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before serving. The soup will thicken as it cools.*
*If more thickening is desired, mix 1.5 teaspoons of cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold water and stir it in while the soup is hot.
Makes approx. 12 1-cup servings.