- Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 111.0
- Total Fat: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 396.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
Green Beans Thoren (Kerala recipe)Submitted by: BIGGIRL2082010
IntroductionA warm salad from Kerala. Typically eaten with rice and parippu or theeyal or another curry. A warm salad from Kerala. Typically eaten with rice and parippu or theeyal or another curry.
Green beans (chopped small) - 2 cups
Turmeric - 0.25 tsp
Salt - .5 tsp
Coconut (frozen, shredded) - 0.5 cup
Cumin (powdered) - 1 tsp
Canola oil: 2 tsp
Dried mustard seeds - 0.5 tsp
- Sautee the beans in 1 tsp oil with the turmeric and salt, until the beans are bright green and still crisp, but cooked. Sprinkle with water to help tenderize the beans, if you wish.
- Add in the coconut and cumin, and let it cook a little more until the coconut is thawed and blended in
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining spoonful of oil and, when hot, toss in the mustard seeds - let them heat until they pop.
- As soon as the mustard begins to pop, pour the oil/mustard mix into the pan full of beans and let cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with rice and parippu or any other curries.
- Makes 3 1-cup servings
Number of Servings: 3
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BIGGIRL208.