- Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 392.7
- Total Fat: 32.5 g
- Cholesterol: 76.7 mg
- Sodium: 979.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 13.8 g
Italian Sausage and Sweet Potato HashSubmitted by: NORJUNMA1
IntroductionA variation on a recipe of Rachel Ray's. A variation on a recipe of Rachel Ray's.
* 3 Italian Sausage, casing removed and roughly chopped
* 3 oz of lean Ground beef
* 1 1/2 cups of Sweet Potatoes chopped into small cubes
* 1/2 Onion finely chopped
* 1/4 cup of water
* 2 tbsp Butter, unsalted
* 1 tbsp Canola Oil
* 2 tsp Ground Cumin
* Salt to taste
* 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
* 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
* 1/2 tsp Thyme
* Garlic, 1-2 cloves, ground or finely minced
- Add onion, garlic and sweet potato and stir to evenly coat with the butter and oil
- Keep over low heat to sweat the ingredients, and watch for sticking. Once sweet potato cubes and onion begin to stick, lower flam and add water (be careful for steam). Cover and allow to cook about 3 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are mostly cooked and you are able to pierce a piece with your fork.
-Now add the ground beef and sausage meat, and stir in to thoroughly mix it with the veggies. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the meat until it is thoroughly browned, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and breaking up any large clumps of meat.
- While meat is browning add all your spices (you can add more to suite your taste) and make sure to mix it will with the rest of the ingredients.
- Once pieces of meat are cooked through, you can serve, or leave it to brown a little more. Since it's hash, you might want your sweet potatoes and onions a little crispy.
- Serve with a fried egg on top and some whole grain toast, or serve over brown rice.
Number of Servings: 5
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user NORJUNMA1.