Classic ChiliSubmitted by: RUNNINGAMOK
IntroductionBasic and quick chili that my whole family loves and is low in calories (they don't know that) and serves very will with a corn salad on the side. Basic and quick chili that my whole family loves and is low in calories (they don't know that) and serves very will with a corn salad on the side.
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 chopped onion
1lb extra lead ground beef
1 1/2 14 oz cans red kidney beans (or mixed with black beans)
1 19 oz can of diced tomatoes
3 TBSP chili powder
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 diced green bell pepper
1 diced red bell pepper
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
2. Add ground beef and saute until thoroughly browned and crumbly.
3. Meanwhile, open the canned beans and tomatoes and start heating them in a large heavy causepan or casserole. If you substitute whole or fresh tomatoes, just make sure they are broken up well.
4. When the ground beef and onions are ready, drain any excess fat and combine with beans and tomatoes.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user RUNNINGAMOK.