Guilt-Free Penne RusticaSubmitted by: LEXIBELLE715
IntroductionFor those that love a creamy, cheesy pasta dish at a popular Italian restaurant - here's a healthy alternative. The recipe I adapted this from says it's '6' servings, however it really makes about 18 to 20. For those that love a creamy, cheesy pasta dish at a popular Italian restaurant - here's a healthy alternative. The recipe I adapted this from says it's '6' servings, however it really makes about 18 to 20.
2 teaspoons margarine (or butter for higher calories)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped (fresh) rosemary
1 cup Marsala wine
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups Fat Free Half and Half creamer
4 cups Skim Milk
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 ounce pancetta, procscuitto or bacon
18 shrimp, peeled and deveined and de-tailed (pre-cooked may be used)
12 ounces grilled chicken breast, sliced
21 ounces penne pasta, precooked
3 oz Roasted Red Peppers (chopped)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 cup shredded Italian Cheese Blend
2. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of skim milk and cornstarch until well combined. Set bowl aside.
3. In a large pan saute garlic and margarine until lightly brown.
4. Add Marsala wine, mustard, salt, rosemary, cayenne pepper, 3 cups of skim milk and half and half. Bring to a boil.
5. Slowly stir in skim milk and cornstarch mixture until combined. Cook mixture until sauce reduces by half. (approximately 10 minutes after it starts to boil) Set this aside.
6. In a different pan heat up some olive oil. Saute pancetta and chicken until chicken is cooked through.
7. Add in shrimp (if previously cooked shrimp is used, allow a minute or two to heat - if raw shrimp is used heat until all shrimp turn evenly pink)
8. Reduce heat and add sauce, cooked pasta, chopped peppers, 1 cup of the parmesan cheese, and 1/2 of the paprika, mix thoroughly. NOTE: You may need to transfer to a larger bowl if making the full recipe)
9. Spread mixture into un-greased baking dish (or two depending on size). Top with shredded Italian cheese mixture, remaining parmesan and paprika.
10. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until top browns.
11. (Optional) Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and serve warm.
Makes approximately 18 to 20 servings.
(Nutritional information based on 18 servings)
Number of Servings: 18
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LEXIBELLE715.