Passover Chocolate TorteSubmitted by: RHENRIE
IntroductionThis is a great gluten-free, dairy free recipe for Passover or any time you need a rich, impressive dessert. This is a great gluten-free, dairy free recipe for Passover or any time you need a rich, impressive dessert.
-1/2 cup pareve margarine (if not for Passover, you can use a healthier blend like Smart Balance)
-8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips.
-5 eggs, separated
-5 ounces agave nectar (or 3/4 C white sugar)
-1 cup grond almonds
2. Melt margarine and chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth and let cool.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, about 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, beat together yolks and agave nectar (or sugar) until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Blend in chocolate mixture and stir in almonds. Fold in beaten egg whites, 1/3 at a time, until no streaks of white remain. Scrape into prepared pan.
4. Place an 8-inch baking pan with 1 inch of water in it on the bottom rack of the oven (to make the torte more moist).
5. Bake torte on center rack for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from pan and top is set in center. Cover torte loosely with aluminum foil for the last 20 minutes of baking. Don't worry if the cake cracks, because the top will be on the bottom later.
6. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefull remove sides of pan. Invert onto a serving plate and cool completely.
Makes 12 servings of almost 2 1/2 inches each
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user RHENRIE.