Peanut SoupSubmitted by: XOETROPE
IntroductionThis soup can easily be adjusted to be vegetarian or vegan. It's very flavorful, quick and inexpensive. This soup can easily be adjusted to be vegetarian or vegan. It's very flavorful, quick and inexpensive.
* Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
* Garlic, 1 clove
* Canned Tomatoes, 28 oz (794 grams)
* Peanut Butter, smooth style, 1/2 cup
* Chicken stock, home-prepared or from Kitchen Basics, 4 cup
* Balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon
* Pepper, cayenne, .25 tsp
* White Rice, long grain, 1 cup (or 2 servings worth of couscous)
optional: shrimp, chicken, and/or beans
*Brown raw chicken with the garlic and simmer with all the other ingredients until chicken is cooked through.
* Add 1.5 cups of presoaked beans when you add the rice.
*Add peeled, deveined shrimp and boil for 2 minutes just before serving.
*Substitute couscous (or any other bland grain) for the rice. Adjust cooking time to fit the requirements of the grain.
*Add a small can of tomato paste for a slightly richer version of the soup.
*When adding spices, include chipotle powder instead of regular cayenne. Could also add curry powder.
4. Sides and additions:
*Serve with roasted sweet potatoes.
*Sometimes I serve this with some black beans that people can scoop in to their own bowl of soup.
*Serve with extra rice or couscous cooked in chicken stock.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user XOETROPE.