Vegetarian Cabbage RollsSubmitted by: VEGGIEHEIDI
IntroductionVeggie version of the classic Veggie version of the classic
For the filling:
1 cup long grain brown rice, steamed (2 cups cooked)
1 Tbl Olive Oil
1 small red onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 med carrots, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained
1 package vegetarian sausage patties, crumbled
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
8 large leaves cabbage
1 large (28oz) can tomatoes
1) Steam the rice according to directions
2) While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large wide skillet. Sautee onions, celery, carrots, and peppers until tender.
3) Defrost Veggie sausage patties, crumble, and add to veggies. Stir in defrosted spinach, add paprika, sage, and oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5) Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 8x11 baking dish with cooking spray.
6) Cook Cabbage leaves in large pot of boiling water, about 5 minutes or just until flexible, then set aside to drain. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
7) Puree tomatoes in blender or food processor.
8) To assemble the rolls, place cabbage leaf on a work surface so that it curls toward you. Fill with a scant cup of rice filling. Fold the stem end and opposite ends in, then roll the sides in. Place rolls in baking dish seam-side down, and top with pureed tomatoes.
9) Cover baking dish with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes longer, until juices have reduced into a sauce.
10) Serve cabbage rolls with the pan sauce ladeled on top.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user VEGGIEHEIDI.