- Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 277.5
- Total Fat: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,211.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 14.1 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
Vegetarian Chili (using Fantastic Foods Chili Mix)Submitted by: DILBERTA
IntroductionThis is a wonderfully spicy chili that is low in fat, high in protien and fiber, and fairly low in carbs. In fact the only drawback is the amount of sodium (if you watch that kind of thing). This is a wonderfully spicy chili that is low in fat, high in protien and fiber, and fairly low in carbs. In fact the only drawback is the amount of sodium (if you watch that kind of thing).
3 garlic cloves
1 large sweet white onions or red onions (approx 3/4 lbs)
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cups water
1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Fantastic Foods vegetarian chili mix
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
1 (15.5 oz) can mild chili beans (I use Brooks brand)
1 (15.5 oz) can hot chili beans (I use Brooks brand)
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 fresh red bell pepper, chopped
1 fresh carrots, chopped
1/2 stalk fresh celery, chopped
1 cup Morningstar Farms Grillers Crumbles
2 (14 1/2 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added (or equivalent amount of fresh tomato)
1/4 cup (4 oz) diced mild green chilis
1/2 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
2. Chop half of the onion into small pieces and chop the other half into strips. Chop the other fresh vegetables into small pieces.
3. Heat the oil over medium heat. Saute (covered) the onions, garlic and carrots on medium heat for about three minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and jalapeno pepper and continue to saute until the onions are just starting to soften, but before they become soft (about five minutes).
4. Add the water, Vegetarian Chili Mix, Morningstar Crumbles and the beans. Bring to a boil.
5. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, green chilis and all the spices. Stir thoroughly.
6. Simmer on very low heat for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve- Makes ten 1 1/2 cup servings
If you have the time, make this a day ahead and allow it to cool completely. Re-heat to serve.
Options: Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, mild green chilis, hot sauce or additional spices OR serve over rice.
Makes a complete meal with a salad and a slice of (corn)bread.
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DILBERTA.