- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 429.7
- Total Fat: 13.8 g
- Cholesterol: 75.7 mg
- Sodium: 618.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 25.4 g
Penne ala Vodka with Chicken SausageSubmitted by: CMCGUIRE88
IntroductionI got this idea from Cooking for Real on the Food Network. I made a low-fat version of it. The fat content was reduced by 69%, and the calorie content was reduced by 53%.
It is full of flavor and easy on your waistline. Enjoy! I got this idea from Cooking for Real on the Food Network. I made a low-fat version of it. The fat content was reduced by 69%, and the calorie content was reduced by 53%.
It is full of flavor and easy on your waistline. Enjoy!
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken sausage, removed from casings
1/2 C chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 t paprika
1 t italian seasoning
salt, to taste
cracked black pepper, to taste
28 oz. can whole tomatoes, no salt added, cut up
1.5 oz. (1 jigger/ 1 nip) vodka
1/4 C 1% milk
1/4 C parmesan cheese, grated
8 oz. (dry weight) fiber enriched penne pasta (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
2. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil
3. Add chicken sausage and brown for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking down large chunks with a wooden spoon.
4. add onion and garlic, and saute until softened (around 5 minutes).
5. Add paprika, italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes.
** Note ** When the pasta water begins to boil, generously salt the water and add the pasta. Let this cook for about 12 to 14 minutes, or desired firmness. Drain pasta when it is done.
6. Add tomatoes and liquid from cans. Let simmer for around 10 minutes.
7. Add vodka and milk, and let this simmer for a few minutes.
8. Mix in parmesan cheese
9. Toss in pasta, and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CMCGUIRE88.