- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 298.5
- Total Fat: 6.0 g
- Cholesterol: 7.7 mg
- Sodium: 847.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 10.9 g
- Protein: 20.3 g
Vegetarian Stuffed EggplantSubmitted by: DILBERTA
IntroductionThis makes 4 very hearty servings. Sreve with bread and a salad for a very filling meal. This makes 4 very hearty servings. Sreve with bread and a salad for a very filling meal.
22 ounces of fresh eggplant, preferably 2 small 10 ounce eggplants, but you can use one large one if you have to
9 ounces of vegetarian "meat" crumbles (I used Morningstar Farm Crumbles)
1 1/2 cup of onion chopped
1/2 cup EACH of finely chopped green and red bell bepper
1 tablespoons any type of 0 calories garlic seasoning
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fat free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
spray cooking oil
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, no salt added
1 cup of cooked rice (leftover rice is fine)
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled fine
2. Cut the eggplant(s) in half the long way. Scoop out the center leaving just a little around the edge. Place the eggplant "shells" in a microwave safe dish with a a couple of tablespoons of water. Cover eggplant and microwave/steam eggplant on high for 4 minutes. Leave covered until ready to use.
3. Cut up the eggplant center into small cubes.
4. Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. When the pan is hot, heat the "meat" crumbles for a minute or two. Add the garlic seasoning and peppers.
5. Add the vegetables and spray the top before stirring. Stir and continue sauteing for a couple of minutes. Add the broth and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce and the rice. Stir well and heat for about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Spray a baking dish just big enough to hold the eggplant with spray oil. Fill each eggplant shell with a heaping serving of the filling and place in the baking dish. If there is any filling left over spoon it around the eggplant.
7. Pour the remaining toamto sauce over the stuffed eggplant. Srpinkle evenly with both cheeses.
8. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DILBERTA.