- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 451.3
- Total Fat: 28.9 g
- Cholesterol: 26.5 mg
- Sodium: 1,644.5 mg
- Total Carbs: 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 16.9 g
Grilled Eggplant ParmesanSubmitted by: BAABWAJONES
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
* 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
* 1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 cup)
* 4 small Italian eggplants (1/2 pound each)
* 16 thin slices whole-milk mozzarella (from a 1-lb block; not fresh)
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over moderate heat.
Trim 1/4 inch off 2 opposite long sides of each eggplant. Cut each eggplant lengthwise (in same direction as trimmed sides so each slice has skin just around edge) into 4 slices. Brush slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Grill eggplant, covered, turning over once, until tender, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a work surface.
Spread top of each slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella, then restack each eggplant. Transfer stacks to a shallow baking pan and grill, covered, just until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
Cooks' note: Eggplant (brushed with 1/4 cup oil) can be roasted on a foil-lined large baking sheet in middle of a 450Â°F oven, turning over once, 20 minutes. Top with sauce and cheese, then stack and bake 5 minutes more.
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BAABWAJONES.