- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 441.9
- Total Fat: 19.7 g
- Cholesterol: 116.3 mg
- Sodium: 250.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 39.5 g
Jamie Oliver's Basic Beef StewSubmitted by: WAHZOE
IntroductionFrom the Ministry of Food Book From the Ministry of Food Book
2 sticks of celery
2 medium onions
1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour
1 * 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 fresh or dried bay leaves
500g stewing beef
500ml ale, Guinness or stout
2. Trim the ends off your celery and roughly chop the sticks. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel the carrots, slice lengthways and roughly chop.
3. Put a casserole pan on a medium heat. Put all the vegetables and your chosen herb into the pan with 2 lugs of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes.
4. Add the beef and the flour. Pour in the Guinness (or ale or other stout), and tinned tomatoes. Give ti a good stir, then season with sea salt and a few grinds of pepper.
5. Bring to the boil, put the lid on and either simmer slowly on your hob or cook in an oven for 3 hours.
6. Remove the lid for the final hour of cooking.
7. When done, remember to remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WAHZOE.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
it was ok...but needed potatoes or something...i added snow peas aswell and served with rice...good comfort food - 7/15/09
Reply from WAHZOE (2/3/11)
In the book this is from Jamie then offers a load of different options for the potatoes to go with it. I should have made a note to that effect in the instructions.