Red Velvet CupcakesSubmitted by: MISSBROWN2U
IntroductionModified from Cook Yourself Thin Modified from Cook Yourself Thin
For the cupcakes:
3 large eggs
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raw beets, peeled and finely grated
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the icing
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
4 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 medium egg white
Small pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, sugar, Splenda and salt, and using a handheld or standing mixer, beat on medium-high for about 5 minutes, until pale and doubled in size.
3. Add the grated beets, flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir to combine.
4. Add the buttermilk and food coloring, and beat again to make sure that all the ingredients are well-incorporated.
5. Spoon batter into the cupcake liners, taking care not to fill more than two-thirds of the way up or it will overflow when cooking.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
For the icing:
1. While the cupcakes are cooking, make the icing: Prepare a double boiler.
2. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of the double boiler, and stir to dissolve the sugar with a clean metal spoon for exactly 4 minutes; the mixture should be warm.
3. Remove the bowl from the heat, and beat with a hand or standing mixer on high speed, until cool and the mixture has turned into a meringue, no more than 5 minutes.
4. The mixture is ready to use when it has formed stiff peaks.
5. Pipe or spread 1 heaping tablespoon of the icing over the cooled cupcakes, and take care to ice the cakes very quickly, as the icing will start to set and is best when just made.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MISSBROWN2U.