SparkPeople Advertisers Keep the Site Free

3.7 of 5 (3)
Create a Recipe Makeover

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 129.1
  • Total Fat: 2.1 g
  • Cholesterol: 1.8 mg
  • Sodium: 9.7 mg
  • Total Carbs: 24.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
  • Protein: 4.4 g

View full nutritional breakdown of No Lard Homemade Flour Tortillas calories by ingredient
Report Inappropriate Recipe

No Lard Homemade Flour Tortillas

Submitted by: LIRPAC


Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

    Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
    1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
    3/4 cups of warm milk

Directions

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they arenít touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (Itís very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and wonít roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until itís thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts youíll have no problem with this.) Donít over work the dough, or itíll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when itís done.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
While you probably wonít have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.

Number of Servings: 8

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LIRPAC.






Great Stories from around the Web


Rate This Recipe



Member Ratings For This Recipe


  • Incredible!
    1 of 1 people found this review helpful
    I have read so many recipes on different sites. I followed these exact directions and they were amazing! I have had undercooked flat tortillas that were tasteless and gross these ones are the winner amazing perfectly cooked and sooooo good to the taste thank you! - 4/14/13

    Was this review helpful?   yes  No
  • The last person who complained about sodium clearly does not realize that table salt is only 40% Sodium, the other 60% is Chloride! 3000mg ų 8servings = 375mg of table salt per serving 40% of which = 150mg Sodium per serving. Daily sodium is 1500 no more then 2500 so 150/1500 or 1/10 of daily sodium - 7/19/13

    Was this review helpful?   yes  No
  • HOLD THE PHONE...these tortillas cannot possibly have 9.7 mg of sodium. The recipe has a teaspoon of salt: 3000mg, and 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder: 1/8 teaspoon is 85 mg. sodium, so you need to correct this for those of us who are concerned with sodium intake. - 6/9/13

    Reply from LIRPAC (7/22/13)
    This is a recipe I found elsewhere online (don't remember where from now), but I just entered the ingredients into the recipe calculator here on SparkRecipes and it automatically made the calculations. If you believe that the amount of sodium is incorrect, please consult with SparkRecipes directly.


    Was this review helpful?   yes  No