Saffron RiceSubmitted by: COCKBURNJ
IntroductionDelicious with Tandoori Chicken. From the Canadian Living Summer Cookbook Special 1983, page 36. This issue is a classic with many wonderful recipes. Delicious with Tandoori Chicken. From the Canadian Living Summer Cookbook Special 1983, page 36. This issue is a classic with many wonderful recipes.
2 cups raw Basmati rice
1 tsp real saffron (expensive but worth it!)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3 inch stick cinnamon
5 whole cloves
1 cup finely chopped onion (2 medium)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
2. Put the saffron in a small bowl, cover with 3 tbsp boiling water, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid. Add the cinnamon stick and cloves, then the onions. Over medium heat, stir often until the onions are very soft and just beginning to get a few brown edges.
4. Add the drained rice and stir to coat with butter and onions and cook a few minutes.. Again, getting the rice well coated with the butter before you add the liquid is essential for the texture.
5. Add 3 cups of boiling water, the salt and the cardamom seeds. Bring to a boil over high heat, add the saffron and liquid, stir well, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook without peeking for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
6. Fluff gently with a fork so as not to break the rice grains and mound into a heated serving bowl.
Serves 6 as a main vegetarian dish, 8 as a side dish to Tandoori Chicken.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HOLDINGON2.