Pumpkin Oat Bran MuffinsSubmitted by: DANILION219
IntroductionMy mother gave me this recipe because she knows how much I adore pumpkin. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon EACH nutmeg and cloves can be substituted for 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. My mother gave me this recipe because she knows how much I adore pumpkin. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon EACH nutmeg and cloves can be substituted for 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup skim milk
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.
2. Make a well in center of mixture.
3. Combine pumpkin and next three ingredients; stir well.
4. Add wet to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
5. Spoon into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling ¾ full.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from pans immediately; serve warm or at room temperature.
*Banana Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute ¾ cup mashed ripe banana for pumpkin.
*Apple-Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup minced apple for pumpkin. Substitute apple pie spice for pumpkin pie spice. Add 1 Tsp ground cinnamon to dry ingredients.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DANILION219.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
Muffins were moist but as expected with bran a bit dense. The taste was lovely and we really enjoyed them - just don't expect light fluffy muffins these are manlyman muffins. (Note I did use whole wheat rather than AP flour so the manlyman texture may be of my own creation... No other subs made.) - 10/7/10