Long Simmered Tomato SauceSubmitted by: SHAYNAMWILLIAMS
IntroductionOriginally from: http://recipes.suite101.com/ar
sauce Originally from: http://recipes.suite101.com/ar
* 10 ripe tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
* 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1/4 cup vegetable stock
* 1 bay leaf
2. Leave tomatoes until cool enough to handle, then remove peel and squeeze out seeds.
3. Chop 8 tomatoes and puree in blender or food processor. Chop remaining two tomatoes and set aside.
4. In a large pot, over medium heat, cook onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic in oil and butter until onion starts to soften, 5 minutes. Pour in pureed tomatoes. Stir in chopped tomato, basil, Italian seasoning and stock.
5. Place bay leaf in pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 hours.
6. Stir in tomato paste and simmer an additional 2 hours.
7. Discard bay leaf and serve.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SHAYNAMWILLIAMS.