Spicy Hunan TofuSubmitted by: FFRENCH15
IntroductionHunan or Honan is a style of cooking that blend sweet and sour with hot and spicy. This has always been one of my favorite Chinese dishes! Here's my recipe in its current incarnation! Hunan or Honan is a style of cooking that blend sweet and sour with hot and spicy. This has always been one of my favorite Chinese dishes! Here's my recipe in its current incarnation!
Green Peppers, 0.5 cup, chopped
Red Peppers, 0.5 cup, chopped
Onions, 0.5 cup, chopped
Broccoli, 0.5 cup, chopped
Mushrooms, 0.5 cup, pieces or slices
Waterchestnuts, 0.5 cup slices
Tofu, extra firm, 1 block cubed
* 1 tb Bean paste; hot, or chili
* 1 tb Minced green onion
* 1 tb Fresh ginger root
* 1 tb Minced garlic
Sweet and Sour
* 1/2 c Soy sauce
* 2 tb Sugar; or honey
* 2 tb Wine cooler; sherry or sake
* 1 1/3 tb Vinegar; sweet or sherry
* 1 1/3 tb Cornstarch; approximate
* 1 1/3 tb Sesame oil
* 1/4 ts Peppercorn powder; or
* Ground pepper; assorted
Prepare the hot and sweet sour mixtures in separate bowls. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil. Stir fry the "HOT" mix until fragrant. Add the "Sweet and Sour" blend and cook until liquid thickens. Cool and refrigerate if necessary (2 to 3 days).
NOTE: A little goes a long way. Use about 1/3 of the sauce for entrees that serve 2 to 3.
2. Chop all vegetables and tofu. Heat stir-fry oil in wok or pan. Toss in tofu and fry 2-3 minutes, then add other veggies. Stir-fry for 10-15 minutes, until tofu is golden. Add sauce, toss together, and serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user FFRENCH15.