Quinoa and Couscous w/veggiesSubmitted by: MUSICRUNNER
IntroductionAdapted from Quinoa a la Tricotine, I ran out of quinoa, so included couscous. Also added more veggies. Adapted from Quinoa a la Tricotine, I ran out of quinoa, so included couscous. Also added more veggies.
.5 cup Quinoa (dry)
.5 cup Coucous (dry)
10 oz Frozen Broccoli
2 Small Tomatoes, chopped
1 Large Red Pepper, chopped
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
.25 cup Salsa
1.5 tsp Cumin powder
1.5 tsp Parsley (dry)
1.5 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1.5 tsp Garlic powder
1.5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cup Water (divided)
- Heat 1 cup of water until boiling, and add the quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until fluffy.
- Heat .5 cup of water in another pot until boiling. Add the couscous, reduce to simmer until water has been absorbed, add more water if necessary, about 5-6 minutes.
-Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the broccoli.
-While the broccoli is thawing and cooking, start chopping the veggies. Feel free to add them to the pot as you complete chopping. The pieces don't need to be small or a particular size, roughly chopped is fine.
- Add the couscous, and the last .25 cup of water to keep the food moist, stir periodically and continue chopping the veggies.
- Add the spices, continue to stir periodically.
- Add the quinoa, salsa, and lemon juice. Stir well, cover, reduce heat to low. Allow the ingredients to absorb the flavor, about 5-10 minutes. (This is when I wash most of the dishes and clean up the counter.)
- Serve warm or cold, your choice! I've also included .25 cup of freshly shredded cheddar cheese for an even more complex flavor...and some calcium! I hope you enjoy.
Number of Servings: 5
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MUSICRUNNER.