Healthy JambalayaSubmitted by: KRYSTYL_ROSE
IntroductionThis Jambalaya is lower on fat and sodium than most others. Due to an oversight, I had not added the tomatoes to the recipe. This has been corrected. The tomatoes used are petite diced with no added salt. If you use other than this you will need to account for the extra sodium. This Jambalaya is lower on fat and sodium than most others. Due to an oversight, I had not added the tomatoes to the recipe. This has been corrected. The tomatoes used are petite diced with no added salt. If you use other than this you will need to account for the extra sodium.
* 2 Chicken Breasts, bone and skin removed, chopped
* Polska Kielbasa, 8 oz
* Celery, 1/2 cup, diced
* Garlic, Minced, 3 tsp
* Pepper, crushed red or cayenne, 1/4 tsp
* Onion powder, 1/2 tsp
* Black Pepper, 2 tsp
* Minute Brown Rice, 3 cups
* Tabasco Sauce, 1 tsp
* Water, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
* Low-sodium chicken broth, 4 cups
* Canola Oil, 2 tsp
* Green Bell Peppers 1/2 cup, chopped
* Onion, 1/2 cup, chopped
* Chopped Tomatoes, 1 Can
2. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with cayenne, onion powder, and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add rice, chicken broth, Tomatoes, and water. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender (about 10 minutes).
4. Stir in Tabasco sauce, and serve.
Makes 8 1.5-cup servings.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KRYSTYL_ROSE.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
I DON'T THINK THIS IS ACTUALLY FRENCH, IS IT???? - 2/27/08
Reply from KRYSTYL_ROSE (7/17/08)
Cajun French (an adaptation of my grandmother's, which wasn't the healthiest). I have recategorized this recipe though, so it no longer is listed under French.
This was great for the adults, but unfortunately I didn't take into account that I was using spicy kielbasa, so it was too spicy for the kids (and I only used 1/4 tsp black pepper!) But I will definitely make this again.
I also added 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes w/ liquuid. - 2/12/08