Amazing Baked ZitiSubmitted by: MRSMACEJKA
IntroductionThis Baked Ziti is absolutely delicious and is great for feeding a lot of people or freezing for later. It also goes great with a salad! This Baked Ziti is absolutely delicious and is great for feeding a lot of people or freezing for later. It also goes great with a salad!
1 (16 ounce) package dry whole wheat ziti pasta
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 (15 ounce) container part skim ricotta cheese
1 large yellow onion, minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat shredded Italian cheese blend
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
2. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the ziti, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
3. While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, and cook and stir until brown, about 10 minutes. Drain sausage and set aside.
4. Stir together the ricotta, egg, onion, garlic, and oregano in a large bowl until well combined. Pour the drained pasta back into the pot and then stir in the drained sausage, salt, pepper, and 1/2 jar of the spaghetti sauce; mix well.
5. In the prepared baking dish, cover the bottom with 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce. Layer 1/2 of the pasta mixture, 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce, and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Then layer the remaining 1/2 of the pasta, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/2 of the cheese. Sprinkle with basil. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Uncover; return to the oven and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 10 more minutes.
Makes 12 1-cup servings
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MRSMACEJKA.