Saffron BeefSubmitted by: DSEDEVIE
IntroductionGreat winter stew to cook in the oven or slow-cooker. Great winter stew to cook in the oven or slow-cooker.
¼ c vegetable oil
3 lb onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
1 green pepper, cubed
5 lb round of beef in 1 ½ cubes
1 lb diced tom
½ t dried thyme
1 T loosely packed whole saffron
1 15 oz can tom puree
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Or spray very large oval slow-cooker insert with non-stick spray.
2. Heat oil in large casserole with close-fitting lid (dutch oven).
3. Add the onions and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is wilted, stirring gently. Add the green pepper and beef. Spoon tomatoes over all and add thyme, more salt and pepper to taste, and saffron.
4. If using slow-cooker, pour mixture into insert before adding tomato puree and stirring.
5. Bring to a boil on top of stove. Cover and place in the oven and bake 3 hours. Or, cover slow-cooker and cook on high for 2 hours and low for 4 hours.
4. Remove casserole from oven and uncover or remove lid from slow-cooker. Skim any visible fat. If a thicker sauce is desired, strain the liquid and keep the meat hot. Reduce the sauce by half, stirring frequently, to make certain it does not stick or burn. Add the meat and heat through.
5. Can be served alone or with brown rice or bulgar wheat.
Makes 20 1/2 cup servings.
Number of Servings: 20
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DSEDEVIE.