- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 348.6
- Total Fat: 14.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 118.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
Red Rice with Yellow Vegetables and RaisinsSubmitted by: STRIVE4BALANCE
IntroductionIndian vegetarian rice dish. Indian vegetarian rice dish.
6 to 8 oz of Mushrooms
3-4 TBSP of vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 medium onions, halved and cut into thin slices
1 cup of uncooked long grain rice
1/2 tsp of paprika
1 1/2 cups or 1 can of ChickPeas
3 cups of hot water
1/4 tsp of Chayenne Pepper
1/2 cup of Tomato Sauce
1 Large tomato, diced
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, halved, cored, seeded, diced
1/3 cup of golden raisins, rinsed and drained
1/3 to 1/2 cup of walnuts
2. Add remaining oil to pan and heat it, add onions, saute over medium heat until tender and brown. Remove 1/2 of onion mixture and reserve, add rice and paprika to pan and saute.
3. Stirring for 2 minutes until rice turns white.
4. Add Chickpeas. 2 3/4 cups of hot water, add 1tsp of salt to taste and cayenne pepper. Stir once and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Cover and cook over low heat, without stirring for 10 minutes.
6. Mix tomato sauce with diced tomato and remaining cup of water. Add tomato mixture and yellow pepper to pan without stirring.
7. Cook covered over very low heat for 8-10 minutes or until rice is just tender. Add reserved onion mixture, mushrooms, and raisins without stirring. Cover rice and let stand off heat for 5-10 minutes.
8. Fluff rice lightly with fork, taste and adjust seasoning. Serve topped with walnuts.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user STRIVE4BALANCE.